The RiverView Occupational Therapy Department provides comprehensive occupational therapy services for the residents of the area. Our aim with all of our patients is to help them obtain the highest level of independence possible.
Services include evaluations, treatment and consultation to clients of all ages and are provided to hospital acute care and extended care patients, outpatients, long-term care residents, and home care and hospice clients. Programs include but are not limited to stroke rehabilitation, hand therapy, pediatric therapy and occupational health services.
Pediatric occupational therapy
Pediatric occupational therapists work to improve a child's physical, social and emotional development; cognition; and sensory processing skills to assist the child to maximize their functional potential in all areas of daily living.
Specialty evaluations and interventions are available for:
- Activities of daily living.
- Neonatal and infant development.
- Autism spectrum disorders.
- Feeding disorders.
- Sensory integration and processing.
- Adaptive equipment and positioning (feeding and dressing devices, writing, utensil modifications, classroom modifications).
- Visual motor and visual perceptual skills.
- Social skills training.
- Job/work-related skills.
Our therapists hold certification or extensive training in:
- Sensory integration techniques.
- Handwriting without tears.
- Beckman massage for oral motor deficits and feeding issues.
- SCERTS Model (social communications, emotional regulation, and transactional support): A comprehensive educational approach for children with autism spectrum disorders.
- Neuro-Development Treatment (NDT) based treatment techniques.
- Motor learning.
- Nutritional and feeding interventions.
- Pool therapy.
- Therapeutic listening.