In honor and memory of his father, Bishop Afonya, Dr. Idatonye Afonya has established the Bishop Afonya Healthcare Scholarship through the RiverView Foundation. Dr. Idatonye Afonya is a board certified general surgeon and has been a valued member of the medical staff at RiverView since 1994.
Scholarship is restricted to residents of RiverView Healthcare Association's service area that includes Crookston and other communities within a 30 mile radius of the RiverView Health Hospital.
This scholarship will be available annually as long as sufficient funding is available.
Applicant must be enrolled, or give intention to enroll, in a post secondary healthcare field of study at a certified post secondary or higher institution.
In order to qualify for a continuation of this scholarship, a recipient must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Documentation of GPA standard is required and must be provided by the applicant.
A stipend of $1,000 will be awarded to each year's scholarship recipient. The check will be mailed directly to the institution of the recipient's choice. The recipient will receive the stipend through the financial aide office of that institution. It is to be applied toward the cost of tuition or related educational expenses.
Recipient may re-apply annually.
- An application form is available through RiverView Foundation Office and through your Career Counseling offices. Application forms and guidelines may be requested by calling the Foundation Office at (218) 281-9249 or (218) 281-9211, the RiverView Health website www.riverviewhealth.org (Foundation link), e-mailing Kent Bruun Foundation Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kari Moe at email@example.com or stopping by the Foundation Office.
- To submit an application, please complete all information requested on the form.
- Applicant must meet eligibility requirements.
- Submit one application form, a copy of your current grades transcript and (2) short (one-page) letters of recommendation by noon on March 19, 2015. You will be contacted if more information is needed.
Awarding of the Scholarship
- RiverView Foundation Board of Directors will review and evaluate the scholarship applications.
- Applications will be judged on demonstrated personal commitment of the applicant to his/her specified healthcare field of study, and on how the granting of the scholarship will contribute to healthcare.
- The scholarship award check will be issued prior to starting date of applicant's next school term. (Issue date to be arranged between Foundation Office and recipient.)
Bishop Afonya Healthcare Scholarship Application
323 South Minnesota Street
Crookston, MN 56716